How do I check the oil in my car myself?
Using your dipstick, follow these steps to check the level and condition of your oil:
- First, turn off your engine for at least 10 minutes.
- Open your hood and find the dipstick.
- Pull out the dipstick and wipe it across a lint-free cloth.
- Then return the dipstick back into the reservoir and pull it out.
- Check the end of the dipstick for an oily film.
Bring your car in for service if your oil is silty, dark brown, or black, with floating particles.